Monday 10 July 2017

Spreading the Seeds of Summer

Hi, Jenny here and I've gone floral today with a card and gift of the growing kind!!

We have a large area of Californian Poppies in our front garden, they survive so well in the gravel driveway and just love the hot sun and dry conditions... I suppose the clue is in the name Californian eh?!!!

Last weekend I collected quite a few seed pods so I could pass some onto my daughter to plant in her own garden and this sparked a crafty idea.....


I thought I'd make a small vellum seed packet and attach it inside a card... 


I love all those sunny hot shades the poppies come in so for the front of the card I used the Wildflower set by Concord&9th to watercolour my own. I used the largest flower and stamped it in shades of yellow and orange distress inks so the outlines would blend in when I added the colour. You can still just about see the lines which adds texture to the petals I think..


I used a small sprig from the same set to make the leaves, I had to embellish a little with my brush to give them the 'fern like' shape..... I used the same stamp to make a subtle pattern on the green background panel too.


I used vellum to make a very simple envelope for the seeds and adhered it together using strips of Stick It... it's a brilliant glue for vellum and a good use for your left over scraps from the bigger sheets. I stamped a flower and leaves in pigment ink on the vellum and clear embossed them so I didn't have to worry about the ink drying.


Next comes the seeds.... Oh boy did they travel across the worktop!!!
The seed heads had been languishing in a paper bag for a week in our conservatory which 
resulted in them pinging open and propelling the seeds...... luckily the bag contained 
them but they really spring open with force!!



I thought the easiest way to attach the seed packet was a couple of small holes and a piece of twine.

   
     
  
I found the perfect sentiments in Mama Elephants Everyday Greetings and 
Altenew's Garden Grow stamp sets :)

Phew! that was a lot of photos... hope you're still with me ;)
Our daughter was delighted with the seeds and hopefully they'll produce a lovely 
show of colour in her garden too!


Thanks for stopping by :)
Jenny x

3 comments:

  1. So pretty, Jenny! I've got some stray Californian poppies too and they're such a delight. You've made a gorgeous card to hold the seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! Love poppies both on the front and the seeds too! Lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we hope the blog inspires your creativity.
The Seven Hills Crafts Design Team